Thursday 28 July 2011

Space Tools- Websites

Last week in e-learning we talked 'space tools'. A space tool is a type of digital technology there are 4 different types of tools:
Space Tools - Wikis, Blogs, Websites etc
Multimedia Tools - Voki, Photo Story, movie maker, youtube, Flikr etc
Presentation Tools- PowerPoint, prezzie etc
Other Tools (interactive and online)- Forums, Angry Birds, Skype etc

Our task as to create our own website using weebly. I was a bit worried about doing this task, I'd never made a website before. I figured it would be really difficult. The hardest part for me, was deciding on the content!! The rest was very simple and self explanatory. My website it about the travelling me and boyfriend did over seas. I tried to use scribble maps on it to mark out my journey, but for some reason the link didn't work properly! I'm no sure why that happened. (If anyone knows why...I'd love to know!)
http://erinsadventureweebly.weebly.com/ This is a link to my website. Feel free to check it out.
I can see why this type of tool would be used in schools. I know a website can't be added to like a wiki and the content is out there for everyone to see, but it seems relatively safe because the person creating the site is the one controlling it. I'd get students to do their school projects on their own website, instead of the on big sheets of cardboard that I used to do all my school projects on! Then to present the website the child would present it to the class and navigate through the site to show their project. I think digital technologies are a great way to get kids engaged and learning but also having fun while doing it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin, I agree with your comment that the hardest part is the content - and that is the power of using an easy to design website; the students can think about what they add without too much worry about how to add it. Now that the Learning Place has these tools - wikis, websites. blogs etc it makes it easier for teachers to provide a safe online environment to their students.

    ReplyDelete